Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Sorry Male Authors - Male Privledge Does Not Let You Ignore The Guidelines

This weekend, I found myself rejecting a ton of authors who simply didn't seem to know how to follow the rules and guidelines. Let me explain the situation.

As you know, the Greyhaus Literary Agency ONLY represents romance and women's fiction. It has been that way since I opened the agency in 2003. And yet, time after time, I find myself rejecting authors who seem to think the guidelines on the website are not really what they seem to say. In other words, despite the fact that we go through hours of setting up clear guidelines, these are not really what we want. Now, here is the thing I notice. Over and over again, these submissions are coming from male authors.

I will just say, I don't get it.

These authors will submit from my website, quote things from my website and blogs, and then submit projects that are, in no way, romance or women's fiction.

Maybe this is a gender communication thing. Maybe these authors are simply looking at the
submission guidelines as Capt. Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean states, these are not actual rules.

Ahhh, but these are rules.

We establish the guideline because these are the stories that we represent and we are looking for. It is as simple as that.

Come on guys. Quit thinking that there are loopholes to everything and really this is a free-for-all when it comes to the publishing world.

Follow the rules and you might find more success!



2 comments: